Nail Cutting HAzard

2 days ago, while I was sitting in front of my PC doing some work, a loud shrill from the next room suddenly broke the line of my thoughts. That was Declan crying out in pain. My first conclusion was he must have bumped his head again. I quickly got up and rushed to the next room. His grandma was hugging him while he was wailing. His grandma sheepishly informed me that she had accidentally cut his finger while trying to cut his nail…

I quickly took over him and carry him out in the living room trying to soothe him. When I picked up his hand trying to assess his wound, it really pained me to see that his little index finger was bleeding profusely. Little drops of blood were dripping from his index finger. In a short while, his pants was dotted with little red spots.

My heart really really ached… soooo heart pain… I use a tissue to wipe away his blood, but they just kept coming… His grandma gave me a plaster, so together we put on the plaster for him. I couldn’t see how deep the wound was because of the blood. Luckily the plaster was able to stop the bleeding but this boy hated the plaster. He kept trying to pull it off and I’m so worried that the might just aggravate his wound if he really managed to pull it off.

Hmmm I wonder whether pharmacy sell plaster suitable for infants and toddlers. Those normal Hansaplast seems a bit overkill for the little ones.

He kept crying non stop, probably from the pain and also from the frustration of not being able to get rid of the plaster. I dropped him into his sarong and within a short while he fell asleep.

I left for work. When I got home, he had gotten rid of the plaster and I took a look at his bloodied finger. He didn’t really want anyone to touch it so that explained why it was still bloodied when I came home. Wahhh I nearly fainted, don’t know from heart ached or from shock…. The cut on the finger was so deep that if his grandma just apply a little bit more strength on the cutter, she would have sliced off the flesh of this tiny finger tip!!! That was how deep the wound was!! That explained why he was bleeding so profusely. Oh my god… my poor little boy… I don’t know why old folks are just so stubborn! We had warned her time and again not to cut his nail as her eyesight was no good but she kept insisting that she could see very well…. For goodness sake she can’t even see the figures printed on her bank book and she still insist she can see well!! I read out the figures to her and she can go :´where did u get that figure? I don’t see anything printed anywhere” and she still dare to attempt to cut her little grandson finger nails??!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!1

This was the third time his finger was cut. The first time was when he was about 3 months old and his daddy nipped him during his first attempt to cut his nail. That time I cried together with the baby. Second time, it was my sister in law who cut him, that time I was at work when it happened. This time it was the most serious and I really hope it will be the last time anyone will injure his little finger again! Why can’t they just leave him alone??!!! His daddy will cut it for him when he is sleeping so that the chances of nipping is lower as he is motionless. What about me? I got a weak heart, I dare not cut for him at all……

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i supposed she is not able to accept growing old and not being able to do the things she used to do easily. and by telling her she is incapable of doing it, all the more she wants to do it to prove herself and her capabilities, i supposed...

all the best!!

cheerio,
yl.

Phoebe said...

Troy can't cut Tim's fingers too... and would scream at me when i accidently clip anything other than Tim's nails. Its really tough to clip baby's nails, especially when they are always fidgiting around. We meant no harm... but accidents still happen :(

Vyvy said...

sigh... i guess like what Stacey shared, its indeed a "must" been through process.

OUCH!

Irene said...

Oh my goodness! I've cut Hailey's finger too. I think she was a week old. Oh, I cried louder than she did! So now, I wait for her to sleep or else, when she just started watching her "shows".

happy piglet said...

Luckily my MIL will not cut my girl's nails and also she will also allows me to cut her nail while Daddy carry her in the bathroom. We just need to play along n distract her attention.

Cheekiemonkies said...

Hi.

I nibbed Ash's fingers 3 times while cutting his nails too :( The funny thing is that he didn't cry.... I just saw blood. Sigh, must be all the blood test due to his jaundiced which has numbed him to pain.

Following the 3 incidents, I use snall little baby scissors to cut his nails (the foldable type). so far so good :) Keep my fingers crossed:)