Bad Breath

I’ve been trying all means and ways to try cleaning Declan’s teeth and tongue. He hates it when I try to push a hanky wrapped finger into his mouth. He’ll twist and turn around and try to wriggle his way out of my grasp whenever I try to clean them for him…

I’ve been telling mil for the longest time that she needed to clean Declan’s mouth everyday but she kept telling me that it is not necessary. Her reason was because all the babies whom she took care of last time didn’t need to go through that routine, so, she conveniently think that mine need not go through mouth cleaning too. Arghhhhhh!!!

To me this is basic hygiene… and it’s always good to start babies on good habits early… It’s never too early to instill good habits right?? To mil, her little grandson is forever too young for all sorts of thing. At 13 months, she still insists that he is too young to be disciplined…..

Of late, Declan has been waking up with pretty bad breathe… and when I brought up the cleaning issue again, mil say, his breathe smells bad because I fed him cod liver oil… The truth is, he has been smelling bad before I fed him cod liver oil.. and I’ve just started feeding him the oil few days ago… and so far he has only taken it twice and each time half a table spoon…. Again, she insists that it is not necessary for me to clean his teeth and tongue… YUCKS! Declan ain’t cooperating with me either….. he prefers to go along with his grandma.

As usual, I refuse to give up. I tell myself I must teach Declan to take care of his dental health as soon as possible. While roaming in kiddy palace this afternoon, I come across a set of pigeon baby toothbrush.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Heheheh.. it consisted of 3 different types of toothbrushes suitable for different stages (differentiated by the number of teeth a baby had). It seems like something which Declan will not hesitate to shove into his mouth. I bought it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

See? I was right! The moment I gave it to him, he pushes it right into his mouth and started chewing on it. It’s a good start. I want him to get associated with the little toothbrush. While he chews, I demonstrated the action of tooth brushing to him and tell him :”Yes baby, brush teeth, brush brush.” He also tried pushing the toothbrush around in his mouth. The good thing about this set of toothbrush is, it comes with a stopper ring to be fixed on the brush to prevent choking.

I let him play with the brush for awhile then I take it away and keep it. This is to prevent him from loosing interest on that little sacred brush. I’ll give it to him every morning when he wakes up and go through the tooth brushing routine with him. Let’s hope he’ll get the idea soon and will allow me to clean his teeth for him.

GO AWAY BAD BREATH!

6 comments:

Phoebe said...

We started practising also :P Tim got used to the toothbrush and will ask for it when i am in the bathroom. Ha! He has no teeth yet! Its a good start for them. *wince* Must be hard to 'constantly fight' with your MIL :(

MomsyWorld said...

Hmm...i bought the same set for my toothless baby too!

I am waiting for her to cut her 1st tooth...I read on a book...how to brush kiddie's teeth...

like what u have done...give the brush to them, let them pay with it...u can also buy a soft bristled finger brush where u can insert ur finger in the thing because the teeth above are harder to clean, thus u need to help them to clean.

I do agree that they need to be kept clean. As for Ethyl, though she's toothless, we (Mom, Hubby and I) clean her mouth & tongue everyday.

This is teaching her gd habits as well...when Hubby and I brush our teeth at nite, we show her too...

MIL is stubborn lah...if she refuses to clean Declan, u gotta do it when Declan wakes up in the morning.

Mama Kat said...

okok.. me will go and get a set for Shannon too...

Anonymous said...

i heard that babies/children love to imitate. how about brushing teeth in front of the ah boy?? then he would see it and go,"AHA!!! a new way of playing with the funny toy mummy gave me to play with yesterday!!"

cheerio,
yl.

ZMM said...

Zara is 8mths old and her breath smells divine every morning. My secret : http://zara-low.blogspot.com/2005/08/oral-hygiene.html

Vyvy said...

Yl, that's exactly what i am doing now. Every morning when i brush my teethI'll push a stool near me for him to hold on to and watch while I brush. He's chewing on the brush at the moment and he do allow me to move it a little in his mouth but not for long though. Hope he'll allow me to brush it for him in time to come


Hey Zara's mum! We got the same set of brushes! and thanks for the tip! ;)