Freak Accident

A scary incident happened at home yesterday. The thought of it still sent shivers down my spine. The Ikea chest of drawers that we bought recently, collapse on Declan. It all happened so suddenly that my heart nearly jumped out through my throat.

I was watching some show on youtube on the bed when suddenly I heard a loud crash followed by Declan's cries. Within split seconds of the crash I turned to see the chest of drawers leaning forward with Declan beneath it. It was fortunate that the chest of drawers could not fall flat on Declan as there was not enough space between the chest of drawers and my bed for it to fall flat. I jumped out of bed and quickly use all my strength to hold up the chest to prevent the weight from hurting Declan. With both my arms holding up the chest, I could not pull Declan out, how I wish I got a third arm at that moment. I screamed for Mil at the top of my lungs. She took her own sweet time to respond. While I shouted for her to come quickly, she did not. She took her own time and replied :" Wh..y..? What is it??" I feel like cursing at her that moment, luckily I didn't and just call out :" JUST COME NOW !!! QUICKK!!!!"

A few moments later, she finally appeared and I guessed she was quite shock at the sight too. I asked her to quickly pull Declan out while I hold up the chest. The poor boy was crying non stop. When the chest fell forward, all the drawers flew forward at the same time and Declan was hit on the forehead and the cheeks by the drawers. He got a bump on his head and a red streak across his cheeks.

After she pulled him out, Declan had to cope on his own while I get Mil to help me pull out the drawers one by one so that I can have my arms off the chest. Only after that, then I could free my arms and go hug my crying baby. He stopped crying moments after I hugged him. I guessed he cried more out of fright rather than pain. Mother and son sat hugging each other on the living room sofa for quite sometime. Both our hearts were racing. I can't imagine what will happen if the bed is not there and the chest fell fully forward and pin Declan's little body down under.

The room was in a mess, everything on top of the chest of drawers were all over the floor and bed, all 6 drawers were lying everywhere. After we settled down, I tried fixing back the drawers but I realize they were a little too heavy for me. I called the dad who was at his company’s party to relate the incident to him and guess what was his reply??? "Ohh do you need me to come back immediately?" After hearing that I fumed like mad and replied :"UP TO U!" and slammed down the phone.

I stormed into the room and managed to pick up all six drawers with their full contents and fixed them back. Anger does give the weakest being the most powerful strength!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

phew... luckily Declan is not hurt... ikea's cupboards really cannot buy one... i thought of buying bookshelves from them... then i went there and see the standards... well, let's just leave it as i shook my head and headed out of the stores... they do boost of great buys in terms of some of the lightings, cups, pans and stuff... but definitely not heavy weight items like cupboards...

Phoebe said...

*HUGS* That was a close shave!

Anonymous said...

oh, what a scare! Thank goodness the chest couldn't fall all the way. Did he try to climb on them?

blurblur said...

My, that was scary...hope Dec is not deeply affected by the incident and is back to usual self already...

Mama Kat said...

The most important is he's safe.. *phew*

Vyvy said...

Thanks all for your concern.

Bam - Dec didn't attempt to climb, he simply pull it a bit too hard and probably he press the drawer downwards too..

Blur, this boy resilience is quite high, he bounced back in about half ah hour time...

jean said...

Oh dear, my heart was racing too when I read on. Thank God dec is safe from any serious injury.

Better ask Dec not to play near that chest of drawers anymore, seemed not very stable though.

Take care, & get well soon, Dec!

wtpgRR said...

Oh dear... Glad that Dec is alright.

Agreed! Anger can generate one beyond it's ability. I will sure slam the phone too, when my girls daddy gives such reply and very sad, his reply is sure the same. It will be much comforting if he knows that we needs his presence badly and even if he is really cannot be excuse to leave the function early, he can say things like :"Dear, pls hang on, I will rush home once the director leave..."

But when you have cooled down and switch yourself to man brain...
"Everyone is out of danger... there shdnt be a need to rush home... Err... just to make sure... better ask...Do you need me to rush home?"

Man are from Mars... *eyes rolling*

Captain 熊猫 said...

Men blains are wired differently, have to forgive them. Dont ur husbands drive u all ladies mad at times?

Vyvy said...

wtpgrr, u are soo sooo right...

Captain panda, saying "at times" is an understatement. They drive us mad ALL the time!

IMMomsDaughter said...

Gosh, this is dreadful. How is Dec's bruises now? I cannot imagine what a scare it gave you. I too have a chest drawer cabinet but it's only two level. I noticed it will fall over too if the lower drawer is pulled out too much & filled with heavy stuffs. Hence, I've propped lots of heavy stuff like coin boxes & bags of diapers to prevent it from toppling over due to my naughty monkeys opening the drawers.