Tummy Ache

Just came back from the clinic….tummy ache...

Doctor prescribed some charcoal and Hyoscine pills for diarrhea and stomach pain. According to him, both pills are safe for a nursing mum to consume... but to play safe it’s better for me to stop breastfeeding for 2 days!! What?? 2 days??!! Huh?? I hate it when doctors give such half past 6 advice!! Y can’t they just give me a definite yes or no??!! give me this kinda wishy washy advice.. damn lame….

Stopping for 2 days will mean that Declan will need to go on about 9 formula feeds as I’ve still got about 6 feeds stored in the fridge… Wahhhh cannot lah…If I stop for 2 days, I’ll need to take probably another 1 day to build up the stock in the fridge again… which also means more formula feeds for Dec while I try stocking up again….

I worry that if he continue to feed on formula for the next 2 days… he might reject my milk later on…. Too risky! I won’t let that happen! So I decided not to take the medication!! I’ll just let the system clear itself and endure the stomach pain (anyway what kinda pain can be worse than labour pain right???) in order to continue breastfeeding… but hor… issit still advisable for me to continue with breastfeeding when I’m having stomach upset?? Hmmm meanwhile I’ll let him feast on the stock in the fridge while I plough the internet for more info. Mummies care to share your knowledge with me???

2 comments:

huileng said...

I hope you are better now.

If I can tahan the pain, I would choose to let the system clear by itself and stay away from the medication. But it depends on the seriousness of your situation too. From my previous experience, I continued to nurse when I LS and caught a cold, I didn't take any medication, the baby was alright. I drank a lot of water though, hoping it will help flush my system faster. Maybe you want to consider calling up the paediatrician and ask for advice?

Vyvy said...

I think my case is still not that bad, so I should be able to survive without the medication. Now my stomach already more or less settle down. Anyway I don't direct feed and whatever he's drinking now are those which I've expressed out when i was well. So i guess problem solved! :)