Eating Habit

Declan's eating habit is very erratic. He snacks alot and he don't usually finish his meals. He can't sit still to finish one square meal. More often than not he'll be too restless and impatient to sit throught the whole course of his lunch/dinner and when he don't finish his main meals, he'll ask for snacks every now and then. I'll just give it to him as I don't want him to go hungry just to discipline him on meal routines. It don't make sense also if I were to feed him heavy meals whenever he ask for snacks right? Some parents may agree while some parents may wag their fingers and shake their heads at me for doing that.

In fact, in my case, more parents think that my practice is not right. I start to question myself whether I am doing the right thing by giving him little snacks when he ask for it. However, looking at how little he eats during his regular meals, I do feel concern about his nutrition intake and that will spur me to give him his snacks.

An article i read from Baby Center assures me that what i am doing is not really wrong. The articles says :

It's probably unrealistic to expect your energetic toddler to sit still for three square meals a day, so try giving your child a variety of foods (yogurt, pizza, fruit, vegetables, cheese and crackers) throughout the day to keep hunger pangs at bay. Remember, a hungry, sleep-deprived toddler is a meltdown waiting to happen

Phew.... so now I feel better whenever I give him snacks and I give him healthy snacks like yogurt, yogurt drinks, cheese sticks, fruits and biscuits etc.

What food do you mamas give your little one as snacks?

4 comments:

ky said...

Honestly, I'm not a mommy that is very particular abt what my kids eat, though I will make sure they have at least one healthy meal per day, or when they are sick, then I will restrict their diet according. So for snack, I'll give what ever I have, from biscuit to bread, cereal, ice-cream, even instant noodle :p

blurblur said...

My inlaws have been commenting that Damien is skinny whenever we visit them, but to me so long as he eats well, sleeps well and plays well, i don't care lah:p

For snacks, he takes biscuits, fruits, cereal, peanuts, yoghurt, cheese, bread...whatever he feels like eating, i'll give to him as he sometimes don't complete his meal as well.:)

MomsyWorld said...

Ethyl has quite a bit of snacks.

Yogurt, baby bites biscuits, fruit, blended juice and cake or bread.

But...isn't snacking too much affecting the appetite? We usually give Ethyl a bit of snacks after the meal...

Vyvy said...

hahah seems like i am not alone. :p at least now I won't think that Dec is the only one with erratic eating habits :p