HFMD

sigh... I guess you all will have guessd from reading the title what I am going to lament about....

Yes... I dread to share that my boy is down with HFMD.... Though the Mt A doctor put him as a suspected case but looking at all his tell tale signs, I think the doctor can safely classify him as a confirm case.

He started with fever on Wednesday night. Thursday night, the fever still hovers at 38.5 degrees... I also noticed little red spots surrounding his lips, tiny spots are also showing up on his legs and palms. I am not too sure whether there are ulcers in the mouth as he refused to let us check. What I do notice is that he will keep his saliva in his mouth and he looks like a hamster with a loot of hidden food in his cheek.

I am glad that he's still active and lively. He's a little clingy though. I've got to coax him back to sleep this morning before taking a cab to work. He wanted us to hug him to sleep.

This will probably mean he'll have to stay at home for the next 2 weeks... I am now really concern about the rest of the little tots in his playgroup. I have communicated with the centre and have also offered to help them with the disinfecting of the place. Let's hope that it's just confine to him and let the rest of the little ones be spared from this dreadful disease...

12 comments:

ky said...

Most probably your boy is not the only child with the illness, as you can be almost certain he caught the virus from school. The toughest part of this illness is to get them to drink and eat. I can still remember the time Tien had it, she will cry out in pain even when swallowing her own saliva. The doc I went did advise, if the child likes cold stuff, can give them icicle. It helps to numb the pain temporary and provide some fluid.

Vyvy said...

so poor thing right... i also just read that giving them cold stuff helps. When I get home today, I'll go buy him a big tub of ice cream, 100-plus, ribena etc etc.

MomsyWorld said...

Er...too much will make him cough isn't it?

Give him some just to make him feel better. :)

He will be fine soon...Do warn SIL about it too! :) Take care!

Fannie

Vyvy said...

if he is not eating n he dun mind all those i rather give him all those and ensure he's got enough fluid then having him admitted to be put on drip.

No need to warn her. she is more wary about his condition then any other person. The moment we told her HFMD she goes :" aiyoh contagious one right???"... i think she also scared it will be pass to her....

Vyvy said...

ohh read wrongly, Sil not mil, yeah we called her and told her not to come over this weekend too.

ky said...

Oh yes, dehydration. Be careful on that. Take note on the amount of pee when change diaper, that will tell you if he is ok. Tien was supposed to be admitted cos' of that, but we never did. Worry she may just pull the needle out herself, unless on total restrain. But doc did warn us to look out for signs where we MUST bring her into the hospital.

Anonymous said...

oh no... get well soon!!

Anonymous said...

Wish Declan fastest recovery... Mummy must take care too...

blurblur said...

Get well soon, Dec!

Signs to look out for - drownsiness and breathlessness. Give him plenty of water,it will be hard to get him to drink but just try.

And take care of yourself too! Do keep us posted!

Vyvy said...

thanks folks for the advice and concern. The worse thing is I have to work while I leave him in the care of my mum in law. So glad that tomorrow is weekend.

Anonymous said...

Poor Declan! Remember to put aside all his utensils and clean them before use. Better don't share with folks. Just for hygience. Get well soon!

God bless you and your loved ones.

Mamabliss said...

hello... sorry to hear that your son has got HFMD, will help to keep him in my prayers... God Bless!