When was your baby's first step?

Whenever I bump into any friends or relatives, the most common questions asked nowadays with regards to Declan are :

“How old is he now?” when I reply “Oh he is slightly pass 1 yr old”, the next question will most likely be “Oh so can he walk already?” I will answer :” Nope, not yet.” Guess what will be their reaction and reply?

More often than not, they will give me a stun look and then ask me worriedly :” HOW COME?” -_-” hmmm these people really puzzle me. Is it really so unusual that my kid ain’t walking at 12.5months?

These chaps will then tell me that that Mr so-and-so’s baby started walking at 10 months, the other lady selling noodles, her baby started walking at 11 months and to end the milestone set by other babies, they will say :” and your baby is already 1yr+ and still can’t walk?? How come ahh?”

My answer will be :” I don’t know leh” because I REALLY DON’T KNOW and it don’t really bothers me that he’s only got 2 lower teeth and just sprouting the upper 2 teeth and not walking at the moment.

I’m really wishing that he’ll start walking as late as possible so that he won’t go around crashing into furniture and toppling over stuffs which will most probably crash onto him and probably crush him as well. The later the walks, the longer will be my “pre-walking honeymoon period” :p I know it does sounds kind of selfish.. but hey….. Once these little things starts walking they’ll never ever stop again!!

Mamas, enlighten me please, when did your baby take his/her first steps?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah boy havent walk coz ah boy saving the energies to run in olympics later in life. ah boy is too smart to waste his energies to walk and entertain a whole bunch of ignorant pple who need a baby to show them how to walk... ;)

cheerio,
yl.

Anonymous said...

my boy walked at 10 months but i always say, when they grow up they are all the same. who cares if u had walked at 10 or 20 months?? ignore all the comparisons la. and like u say, enjoy not having to chase after declan... yet! they're even cuter at this stage!

blurblur said...

Damien took his 1st steps when he's 16months as compared to his cousin who walked at 10 or 11 months. My MIL asked me "why he still don't want to walk huh?" Really pissed me off, i felt like telling her then: "why don't you try asking him?"

Like what YL said, forgive/forget about those ignorant people, life will be easier for us:)

MomsyWorld said...

Ethyl can't walk yet of course but my cousin (same age as Declan) started walking at 11mo.

That shouldn't bother you too much, like MIL says, kids that bears their genes walk later! Just like my Ethyl, she's too lazy to crawl, to lazy to sit still and lazy to stand!

I bet it's their lousy genes from Daddy (oops!). Ivy, as long as he is still learning...let it be bah! But I would really love to see a 'xiao bu dian' walking leh, sure very cute one!

Mama Kat said...

Ivy,
If they start to walk, there's new headache leh..
Shannon now also 12mths+ and start to walk, @ 1st she willing to let u hold, but now, NO WAY, she wanna walk her way and make u worry behind her.. **cold sweat alot.. when fall, she will just cry, who pain? both of us rite, her knee n my heart..
but as long they start their 1 step, very fast will follow by 2nd, 3rd and 1m, 2m walk soon.. be patient!!!

Irene said...

HI Ivy,
Hailey can't walk on her own yet. She furniture cruises though - walks sideway with arms on the sofa. But she is a champion crawler. :)

My chiro told me that babies who spend a lot of time crawling tends NOT to get ADD/ADHD later in life. Something about crawling connecting something in the brain that prevents ADD/ADHD. Not sure which one, so you do the research. So keep him crawling!

tata, ig

Anonymous said...

16 months. My firstborn took 16 months to walk.

I was so worried I had this weird dream... that she was in kindy... i was waiting for her to come out from the classroom... the other students came running out and... she CRAWLED out!

She's almost 9 now & every bit normal. :-)

Vyvy said...

heheh i am not the least bit worry that he's not walking yet. I'm just amused by those folks who keep asking me why he is not walking yet. hmmmm i wonder whether they ever come across other babies who started walking late. It seems like there's plenty of babies out there who starts walking late

Anonymous said...

Gabe's 1st steps was 10+ months and now at almost 11 months, he's trying to walk all over the place (headache, headache). All these are secondary to me as long as bb is happy & healthy. I'm sure Declan is happy & healthy too so don't bother too much. Before you know it, he'll be running!