1st Day at school

Yesterday was Declan's first day at his playgroup. He woke up early thinking that Daddy and Mummy were gonna bring him out. Kiat dressed him and I prepared all his stuffs for him. Look at him carrying his own water bottle. Sorry about the quality of the pics. I didn't on enough lights that's why it looks real dark.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

He was ok when we arrived at the school, he refused to eat the cod liver oil when the teacher tried to feed him.

Image hosting by Photobucket

They gave him breakfast, wholemeal bread with butter and milo. He only took a bite of the bread and I had to help him finish the rest and he didn't drink his milo.


The centre will start each day with assembly. Declan didn't take to the assembly too well. I think it's due to the fact that he hates to be confined. Throughout the assembly he kept tugging at me, trying to pull me over to the stairs wanting to venture up the stairs to the dinning area and probably out the door. He gets more agitated as I tried to keep him in the hall with the rest of the kids.

After the assembly, all the students will return to their classrooms. That is when Dec started to cry. He lost his cool. He didn't' want to stay in the classroom, he didn't want to mix with his classmates, he didn't want any of the toys given to him, he's not even interested when the teacher did music and movement, which is very unlike him. All he wanted was to get out of the door. One of the teacher gave him a small candy and he calmed down. He stopped crying totally when the class started to play with building blocks. He went to the box and picked up a few blocks, walk to one corner, threw them down and played with it on his own. One little girl came over wanted to play with him, but he hanged up and sell. Seeing that he had stopped crying, i sneaked out of the classroom. He didn't cry...... as yet..

He started crying again, when they put away the building blocks as it was playdoh time. I was in the dinning hall, where I could hear him and the centre director showed me a window which I could peep into his classroom. He was seated on the lap of the teacher and crying. I didn't want to go in and disturb, I prefer him to try to get use to me not being around. After awhile he stopped crying and played with the playdoh. After playdoh was lunch time.

Image hosting by Photobucket

See, he fed himself :) Didn't cry. I was there though. Somehow, I'm always washed over with emotions when I see this pic. I kept thinking.. so poor thing... looking at the tiny figure sitting there feeding himself... I wonder whether I should reallly enrol him or should I just keep him at home till he is 3 years old... What do you mummies think?

After lunch, back to the classroom again. I carried him up and that's when he cried again... I should not have let him see me during his lunch.... I didn't give in, I left him there and left the classroom. The teacher bathe him and gave him milk. Shortly after, all was quiet. The teacher came out to inform me that he had fallen asleep and advise me to go home and take a break.

So I left, at 5pm I went to pick him up. The teacher told me, he woke up at 3+ he was fine didn't cry. 4+ they brought him down for tea break, that is when he expected to see me waiting for him (just like during lunch), didn't see me, started to search, can't find me, started to cry again. He cried for 10 mins, stopped for awhile, cried again, stopped and started again on and off.

Thus when I arrived at 5pm, I was greeted by a red nose reindeer... Overall I should say that he does deserve a pat on the shoulder. He was pretty brave. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so poor thing.. ya.. 18 months seem kind of young. Can he go to some couple of hours playgroup instead? I am keeping my child till she is 3yrs old before sending her to childcare. I feel your pain.
karen

ky said...

The kids sitting opposite seem older. Don't they put children of the same class together during meal times? He does look pitiful though.

Irene said...

Ai yo. He looks so cute. You're a brave mommy.

blurblur said...

He's one brave little hero!

Though 18months seemed abit young, i guess it's good to let him have some exposure, why not start him on a half-day basis? Or alternate days?

Ya,the pic of him eating alone tug my heart...

Both mummy and Dec deserve a pat on their shoulders! *pat pat* :))

Anonymous said...

The table sit 4 person. The table Dec sit at has 3 person. Only 1 seat is empty. Is this call eating alone ?

If the table Dec sit has only him alone, then it is called eating alone.

ivy_paradise said...

Although i'm not a mummy yet but i feel it better to let him enroll and exposure.

At first,i think he won't feel comfortable but later on,shall be ok lor....

All e best!!!