To enroll or not?

The dad was badly traumatized by the last pic in my previous post. The pic which Declan was seemingly eating alone. Actually that was not really the true scenario. The true scenario was like this : He came down from his classroom for lunch. He saw me, smiled, but didn't rush over to cling to me. For that I am proud of him. He went along with his teachers and friends to the dining tables. The centre folks brought out the little bowls and laid them on the table and then the little ones will proceed to choose their own seat. I was the one who pulled out the chair of that particular seat for Declan. As I was squatting next to the table, no other child can squeeze through to the chair inside. After he settled down and started feeding himself, I stood up to take that picture. Didn't know why that pic turned out to have this lonely mood hanging around it. It was really a wrong representation which even con me, the photographer...

As I was looking at the pic yesterday, I was also chatting with Mama Kwai Yoke on MSN. I was telling her, as I typed on my keyboard, my tears actually drop... so drama mama.... so unlike myself.... I guess me and Kiat look at the picture and let ourself illusionized that our little one will be so poor thing if left there... Maybe, we are trying to find excuses for us to keep him at home.. to protect him from all the external factors.... Mama Kwai Yoke gave me encouragement and I will like to thank her for sharing her experience with me.

Kiat even go the point of asking me to take down the pic... if not he'll not visit my blog again... I refused.. I told him we had to face it and anyway.. that pic was a misrepresentation.. he was indeed enjoying his lunch... HA! that emotional daddy, but that goes to show how much he sayang his little boy.

Fannie, to be frank, we are not coping too well... In fact there was a point yesterday afternoon that both me and Kiat agreed to send him in only when he turns 2. It was after much consideration, taking into account he has been there for 2 full days.. if we gonna delay it further, he'll have to start all over again. I told myself, that will be even more traumatizing for him. There will be heartache, and at times I feel that I was a bad mama who push him over his limits, but I guess that is a phase all mums have to go through. Anyway Mama Kwai Yoke shared that it's actually easier for them to cope if they are younger.

Mama Blurblur, the centre do have half day programme, however that will not be an option for us as neither Kiat nor me will be able to pick him up and there will not be school bus service for half day programme.

Yes, after all the heartache and debating with my own soul I have decided, together with Kiat to go along our initial plan and let him learn to be independent. I always wanted a streetwise kid who can take care of himself. He ain't the really dependent nor shy type. He's a bit whiny these 2 days as I guess he's just not use to the centre's environment.

Cherie Hearts may not be the top notch child care centre on this island, but I am very comfortable with their teachers and centre director. The teachers were really patient with Declan. They took turns to coax and comfort him. The centre director will update me on the development of Declan through sms when I was not around. What's more there is this little girl in his class who will always take tissue and wipe away his tears when he's crying. She'll come pat his head and hold his hands. Very sweet little girl :) She's actually the centre director's daughter.

The trial was over. The real war will start on 01 Feb 2006. Help bless my child and hope he will be brave as a warrior to conquer his new territory!

4 comments:

blurblur said...

I can empathise with what you're going through now. The first time i left Damien with the teachers, i rushed to the restroom for a good cry:( Letting go is difficult, but once you've crossed this hurdle, the rest will be easier!

It's no harm letting them start early, now i actually regretted not sending Damien to any playgroups...;p Thank god he's adjusting pretty well in his new environment now!:)

I'm sure Declan will brave through the initial days like a little warrior! No worries! And Ivy, you're one brave mama! :))

Irene said...

The photo does look sad - but it's part of life, huh?

Jia You!

ky said...

Most importantly, you and hubby must stand on the same line, being comfortable on the whole situation. I will definitely be thinking and praying for you on 1 feb, when I'm with Tien on her 1st day too!

wtpgRR said...

Wow! I didnt know sending the kid to sch can be so traumatic...I think when it my turn to send my girls to school, Im sure will break down!By saying that, Declan is quite independant & obedient. My girls still suffer from stranger anxiety and refuse stranger to get near them. On another hand they are very wildfull too. They are not like Declan can sit still. Most probaly they will jump up & down the tables and mess up the class!