Declan and his 3 Languages

Dec : mummy 我要follow你!
(ohhh no... my son is a typical Singaporean who mixes two language into one!!)
Dec : mummy 快点我等你!
Dec : 你吃什么?我要!
Dec : 什么来的?
Dec : 喂!你该嘛??


I'm quite glad that Declan did not grow up to be one of those "we the elite" type of banana man a.k.a asian trying to act class and am proud of the sad fact that they do not understand mandarin and can only speak english. Though he seems to prefer English, nonetheless, he'll reply you in mandarin if you speak to him in Mandarin. However, I always wonder where he got his malaysian accent from. His mandarin teachers are all from China. I suspect it's from the dad. His dad is a true blue Singaporean but somehow he also have a little Malaysian accent.

This little boy had also recognise the preferred language of people around him. He'll initiate to converse in English to me, Mandarin to his Kong Kong and Hokkien to his Ah Ma. Yes, my boy speaks Hokkien too! Phew!!! I always worry that he will not pick up his own dialect. Too often we seen communications between grandparents and grandchildren broke down as the younger generations do not speak their own Dialect. I always hope that Declan will pick up Dialect so that he can communicate with his grandparents. Indeed he did.

I will make sure he continue to juggle between these 3 languages.

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

Its an asset to be multi-lingual! Keep it up! :)

jean said...

Yup, agreed with Phoebe. It's indeed an asset to know multi-languages.

But sometimes, it sad that the grandparents are not speaking to their children, let alone grandchildren of their own dialects. I wonder why.