Milk and Porridge Issue Again!

I always thought that by feeding babies cereal and porridge, it’ll last them longer before they cry for their next feed. This is not the case for Declan though… hmmmm I’m confused!

Yesterday, about 1 and a half hours after I fed Declan porridge, he was whining and crying persistently. I thought he might be sleepy, so I put him in the sarong. It didn’t comfort him and he didn’t fall asleep. He kept on whining. So I took him out of the sarong and tried patting him to sleep. That didn’t work either. By then he’s fussing more fiercely. It suddenly strikes me that he might be hungry. So I warmed up a bottle of chilled milk and gave it to him. His eyes brighten and he happily sucked on the teat and displayed a real satisfied look while drinking. At the rate that he was drinking, one might think that this baby was left hungry for hours! But the fact was, he just finished one whole rice bowl of porridge! He finished up the milk in no time.

So, he was hungry! I wondered where the porridge went.

After feeding him, Kiat sat him upright and patted his back, suddenly he just puked up a river of porridge plus milk! It’s been a long time since he last puked that much! It used to happen to him when he was a newborn and doctor said that it was normal. I was shocked and couldn’t respond for awhile. Then I rearranged my thought and grab a hanky to clean him up. I took over him and comforted him, thinking that he must be feeling unwell. However, he was all smiles. Other than the soiled shirt, you couldn’t tell that he just puked that much from his face. He didn’t look unwell. Instead he looked cheerful and he had stopped fussing.

That’s really confusing!! So was he hungry? Or wasn’t he?? Did I overfeed him??? Did he puke because he was too bloated? If he’s feeling bloated, why did he cry for milk? Or was he crying for milk in the first place? If he was hungry, then why did he puke after finishing the milk? Aaaarghhhhh! How I wish he can talk! So that he could tell me what he want.... It pained me to see him puke that much……

2 comments:

huileng said...

My initial thought was that he might be going thru a growth spurt, thats why he was hungry so fast. But then he puked...now I also dunno. Maybe he just missed mommy's milk...

Vyvy said...

hmmmm after few days of observation, I think I agree with Huileng that Declan is indeed going throw a growth spurt.

His grandma suddenly decided to cook him porridge daily. So since last Sunday, he had been eating porridge on a daily basis liao. According to mil, he reacted the same way. About 1.5hrs to 2 hrs after his porridge feed, he'll cry for milk and he didn't puke after taking the milk :)

While feeding him, we'll take cue from him, if he whines and turn away from the spoon, then we'll stop feeding him. If we stop on our own accord, he'll "scold" us hahaha he'll grumble grumble in his own babble language.