Egg Custard

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On Sunday morning, my first attempt at trying to make an egg custard for Declan failed. So embarrassing... It's such a simple thing to make and I failed!! Lao kui...

I followed the instruction stated in the recipe faithfully. It said :
Add 100ml of formula / breastmilk to 1 egg yolk, beat with a fork for about 1 to 2 mins. Steam the mixture over medium fire for about 5 mins. Cool and serve.

So simple right?? and yet I failed leh! I follow the instruction stupidly. When I off the fire and remove the cover, I saw that the bowl of custard was still watery. I naively thought that I should let my concoction cool and it will somehow solidify. I waited and waited and waited. 45mins passed and it's still a bowl of watery concoction.... My mil took a look at it and declared it a failure. She lectured me and said :" How can you steam your breastmilk??? It'll cause your milk supply to stop you know??"

Issit? *shrugs*

I am not convinced that my culinary skill is really so bad that even when I followed the recipe so closely I could still fail. So I asked permission from mil to let me try again and she gave me the go ahead with some suggestions such as adding in less milk.

So, on my 2nd try I added only 50ml of milk into the yolk and beat it for 1-2 mins again. This time, instead of the suggested 5mins I steamed the concoction for about 15mins. TaDA!!!! Success!! *smirk smirk*

Not sure if it tasted nice. Fed it to Declan together with a bit of green bean soup. He ate it readily without much fuss except in the evening when he coughed he expelled abit of the eggy stuff. Not sure if that's considered fine though.

4 comments:

MomsyWorld said...

Never trust recipes...just know what ingredients to use and you can cook base on your instincts. Erm...high temperature will 'kill' the nutrients present in the BM rite?

Im not sure whether will it cause the BM to stop (never heard of) however, I did read from somewhere that too high a temperature will destroy the nutrients in the BM.

Is it also fine to feed Declan with green bean soup? Prob can separate the stuff and monitor whether does he puke anot...

Vyvy said...

Not sure whether the nutrients will be killed by high temperature or not. If that's the case, next time I shall use formula milk instead.

I read that it's ok to feed baby some beans, including green beans so I guess green bean soup should be fine loh hor?

huileng said...

I think the high temperature destroys the anti biotics or things like that found in breastmilk, not the nutrients. Since formula milk is also highly processed food, the "cooked" breastmilk should be somewhat similar? Except that one is from cow, and the other one from human.

And the green beans you mentioned, you might want to find out if they are refering to the green beans we refer to locally, or is it green pea (like those canned green bean). Some people say green bean soup is rather cooling? Not too sure about it, though it always make me more gassy.

Vyvy said...

oops :x so ang mohs green beans and chinese green beans may refer to different things ahhh uh-oh...

sotong me, anyway he ate liao seems ok :p In that case, to play safe I shall not feed him with our local context of green bean for the time being.