First Dip

Declan got his first dip this morning! The dad gotta dig the lazy me out of bed early in the morning... It's extremely difficult to separate me from my bed on weekend mornings.. me and the bed are just so much in love with each other that practically I want to be it's siamese twin...

We just bought the swimming suit from Kiddy Palace yesterday. I chose the suit instead of the triangular piece of sexy fabric as I worry that he may catch a cold with too much flesh expose.

Before I let him out into the pool, I slapped on plenty of Banana Boat SPF50 sunblock for him. Kiasu hor??!! SPF50.. I scared he get sunburn mah. If his skin start peeling right after his 1st dip, I bet his ah ma will ban him from future dippings. So must be careful!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Before the dip
Doesn't he look kinda worried??I think he got no confidence in me as I'm a non swimmer and the last time i don on a swimming costume was donkey years ago when I was in secondary one. *count* *count* *count* wahhh 10 fingers also not enough must borrow my baby's fingers, no wonder he looks worried.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Somehow he still looks worried, though I held on to him tightly. That timid fellow.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

His dad took over and guess what??! He was so busy making sure that he was keeping baby's butt floating that the forgot to make sure that baby's head was above the water too. Ended up, baby drank a mouthful of water+chlorine+urine+poo+mucus+saliva+sweat etc. He got a funny expression on his face so I guess that mouthful must have tasted yucky.

Overall, he enjoyed slapping at the water. He didn't seem too thrill when we try to get him to float. As it was his first dip, I didn't dare let him stay in the pool for too long, for fear that he might catch a cold which would mean perpectual ban from the pool by his ah ma. I took his :"Hachooo!" as an indication that we should end the dip. All in all, he only stayed in there for about 15mins. Kinda short but as this is the first dip, it's better to play safe. Will prolong his dip progressively.

Oh, notice the absence of a float? We did buy him a float for him to sit in. But we naively thought that the dad's lungs will be powerful enought to puff it up at the pool so we brought it there without inflating it first. The dad threw in the white towel after huffing and puffing a few mouthfuls of co2 into the float, for fear that his lungs would collaspe.

Points to note for next dip :

(1) Must remember to bring his bathing robe to keep him warm. Today forget.

(2) To puff the float up with a pump before going to the pool.

(3) To bring some floating toys for him to play with.

11 comments:

Phoebe said...

Hee hee... Dec look so cute! Its interesting to see their behaviour in the water. Try lying him on his back the next time, he might even be able to float :)

Vyvy said...

Phoebe,

We attempted to do that, but he seems nervous hahaha fierce baby always got no guts hahah. We'll let him get more accustomed with the pool and slowly do that to him again. I saw a pic (was it your blog or ur' friend's blog) of a baby floating that way and it seems fun!

Yah Ling, thanks for passing by and do drop by often. Luckily that boy didn't catch a cold after his first dip and I really want him to learn to swim cos I miss out so much fun as I can't swim.

MomsyWorld said...

Hey...a great start! It's always good to expose hem to some outdoor activities...I shall have my turn soon!

He really looked worried in his first pic ya...why huh? scared? hahaha...cute little boy...

Start out slowly...they need to 'drink' from the pools to master learning..famous saying by my dad...

My friend, sabina brought her baby to the pool when she was 6 weeks old...she let the baby swim for 10-15 mins and she said it is enough for first timers...increase the time gradually...Declan will love swimming soon...

Vyvy said...

hahaha like i say loh, he no confidence in me mah. I myself cannot swim and yet want to bring him swimming. Cannot blame him for being worried. heheheh

Other than him, I think I also enjoyed the dip :p

Phoebe said...

Thats either Tim or Javis - Yee Ju's baby.We used to meet up every tuesday evening for a dip while Troy plays tennis with Yee Ju's in laws. I learnt how to teach Tim thru'this book on teaching babies to swim by Claire Timmermans You can see it under my post here :

http://timparry.blogspot.com/2004/10/how-to-teach-your-baby-to-swim.html

Vyvy said...

Thanks Phoebe, read your link. Can Tim swim now? Will baby know how to hold his breathe if we dunk him in?? won'the breathe in the water and choke?

Phoebe said...

According to the book, being able to swim is kinda inborn. We unlearn that skill as we age. The key is we have to start young. If we missed the window period, it will be difficult but not impossible. The author's son started swimming on when he was just 3 days old! It was documented. Amazing!

MomsyWorld said...

Ivy, like what Phoebe said, it's kinda inborn thingy.

Micheala, my friend's girl, she was dunk into the water while she was 6 weeks old and yes, she does knw how to hold her breath...

try doing it slowly and in a fun way...sabby told me to count till 5 and dunk her in slowly...I might try phoebe's method after reading her link too!

Let's see if it's a good weather this sunday...*pray*

Vyvy said...

i tell u ahhh his daddy sure won't allow me to do that. he'll sure scared i drown his boy!!

u try and tell me what's ethylyn's reaction.

MomsyWorld said...

the daddy also dun allow me de lah...but i bo hiew...

He promised to go swimming on sunday b4 going to George's baby full mth...I shall tell u then...

Vyvy said...

Thanks for sharing YL. we'll see how ethylyn do and feedback here again