Making a Genius?

I was asking a friend about the Shicida Method and this was part of his reply :

"u rather train ur child to think like a genius then to read at a young age"

He thinks that the Shicida Method is crappy and his opinion is as above.

Sorry pal, but I don't agree with you. Part of my reply to him are as follow :

"i am not looking for a genius in my child"
"i want my baby to learn to read and to develop a healthy liking for books"


I may be a doting mum but I'm definitely not a kiasu one who wish that my son will comes in top in all he does. I am definitely not sorting for a genius in my son. To me, you can't make a genius out of a normal child. If genius can be made, then what's so rare about a genius, since everyone can develop their child into one?

I never believe in forcing a child to achieve things beyond his means. To me, so long as he is a happy child, I'm a happy mum. My objective in seeking out the Shicida Method, is to explore the possibilty of developing an early reader. I love to read, thus I hope my son will be able to read early so that we can read together. I am looking forward to bring him to the library for him to pick up books and read for leisure not for enrichment. At the moment he is only interested in gumming the books and he don't seems to like listening to stories narrated by me.

I must work harder on that! Maybe my story telling skill is lousy or maybe he finds me too naggy and talks too much?

10 comments:

Irene said...

Read on! I try to read to Hailey daily before bed. She now grins at the baby in the book. :0)

Vyvy said...

do you read with her sitting on your lap and she looking at the book or u just read to her without her seeing the book?

mine ahhh if i sit him on my lap, he'll try to wriggle away or he'll wanna take over the book and gum it.

If i place him in his sarong and jsut read to him he bo chup me leh...

MomsyWorld said...

I read to Lynnie every day...i get her to sit on my lap, sometimes when she's in bed...I believe, as long as i read, she will grow to like it one day.

I'm also reviewing on Shicida Method. Told my Mom I'm going to bring Lynnie there when she turns 9 mths old...her reply was plain...KIASU...

Vyvy said...

Whether it's being Kiasu or not, it very much depends on your own mindset and what's your objective of sending your little one there.

If you are sending your kids there in hope that she'll be "more clever" academically or hopes that she'll come in top in her class in future, then to me, it's kiasu loh.

But for me, I just want to cultivate a love for books in Declan. I hope he can pick up reading as a hobby on top of computer gaming in future. Whether he score 90% or 100% for his test in school is not my major concern.

In my view, so long as he has done his best, even if he just manage to bring home a 51%, I'll be fine.

hmmm I always think at we don't have the right environment at home for me to read to him leh... cos the TV outside is always on so loud and so distracting... There's always alot of distractions...

Irene said...

the book is very short. she'll sit on the bed and i'll flip the book open and read it to her while she looks at the pages.

Anonymous said...

Read with enthusiasm, my son would always ask for a particular book at 10 or so months of age.

Look for books which rhyme, his fav at 1.5 yrs is The Gruffalo (Julia Donaldson)

Anonymous said...

I don't think Shichida Methods is about reading books. It should be much more then that.
Today you may think that bringing back 51% is ok for you. But if bringing home 51% means he will get kick out of school, what will you do ?

Vyvy said...

hmmmm i am letting the shichida thing go, cos not gonna stress my kid. still prefer him to learn things his own pace.

Why shd the school kick him out if he gets 51%? it's still a passing mark.

There's much more things in life than scoring good grades in school. I've seen many parent and child relationships broken down due to too much pressure from parents on the child's academic performance.

Let me ask you a question, will your child be less of ur flesh and blood jus becos he/she score 51% or worse?

If my child can't perform well in school, no doubt, I will be disappointed but I will love him equally much. He may fall behind academically but that doesn't mean he won't excel in other areas.

Anonymous said...

How about sending young ones to shicida and any other enrichment course so that they can be a better person? If they learn and see more at earlier stage, it translates to better experience too. They can help their friends in school and contribute to community. Lots of people associate these with academic only. I think those who thinks that way are kiasu themself.

Wulfette said...

Hello! I just had my dad forcing me to look into the Shichida method because every other friend he has is either doing it for their kid or grandkid!

I think it's mean to put a baby to a school when you can just as well spend some time with him in the comfort of your own house.

My son Vlad is now 12 months old and he loves books. But he only really started to look at them (and not eat them) around 10 months old. I started introducing books to him since he was 2 months, just picture books at first.

I put his books in my bed, so in the morning after breasfeeding him, we will read a bit and also at night before sleeping.

Set aside an area in your place for his books only. My son now knows his bookcase and will pick up a book and give it to me to read it to him during the day...

Good luck!

And well, back to the topic: I really think little kids are not meant to be at school when they are too young...